Saturday, October 20, 2007

October in New Bern


In New Bern, October is a month of fun and festivals. We just got back from the Chili Festival which is always a fun filled event held in Havelock which is about a 20 minute drive from New Bern. Chef's from all over the state come in to see whose chili will be chosen number one by a panel of 12 judges. Many other types of food were prepared by various non profit organizations and sold to raise money for the charities they represent. Many performances, including Community and High School Bands, College choirs, professional wrestlers, and Civil War re-enactment soldiers entertained the thousands of visitors.
Also held this weekend was the Neuse River Run. This year's event had over 800 contestants who competed in 5 and 10 K runs/walks. The run begins in Bridgeston and proceeds to the Neuse River Bridge and finishes in downtown New Bern. All proceeds from the event go to 12 non profit organizations.

The Mum Fest was held in downtown New Bern last weekend. This annual event is rated one of the top 20 festivals in the South and grows each year with new vendors and performers. Click the link to learn more about the Mum Fest http://www.mumfest.com/


New Bern's Ghost Walk will be held October 26 and 27. This years Ghost walk will give you a chance to experience the Civil War Years in New Bern at the 17th annual New Bern at Night Ghostwalk. The Ghostwalk tour features historic homes, churches, and the town’s oldest cemetery, dating back to 1798. This year’s event transports you to the Civil War Years, with Confederate and Union soldiers, spies and other “spirits” that disclose their intriguing stories. Guides are available at each site to give the history of homes while the “ghosts” tell the story of the Battle of New Bern and share other tales of what the town was like during this turbulent era in American history when brother fought against brother.

2 comments:

berrrr :) said...

Hi,

I come from Singapore, and i happened to chance upon your blog while searching for New Bern.
I'm an avid reader of Nicholas Sparks novels, and i've read all about North Carolina from his books.
I was thinking of taking a vacation at NC sometime soon.
Could you tell me more about New Bern? Is it a good place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life?
Could you tell me more about New Bern? Not about shopping...but more about it's geography, nature or something?
Would be looking forward for a reply. You could email me at : berrr_@hotmail.com
Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Bernice.

Unknown said...

Hi Bernice,

Sorry I am just getting back to you but I did not see your post on my blog until just now.
I have not met Mr.Sparks but I use to live right down the street from him and he did donate $500 to my campaign for County Commissioner. I guesss that is my claim to fame. Please check out my website www.newbern-nc.info to find out more about New Bern. It gives you a lot of information on the history and geography of New Bern. Let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

Steve